Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Gondala of Death

So I woke up the next morning, and froze my rear-end off! I was fine in my bivy, but soon as I got out... MAN! It was cold! I had to rub myself constantly just so that some of the friction would provide some ounce of warmth. I got going and headed to a spot that was recommended to my by a local. It was pretty cool. No one was there. It was a waterfall called silver cascade. Here is a pic of it.From there I really didn't know what to do, so I went to an Appalachian Mountain Club Lodge. It was fancy. :) And I asked them where to go to get away from people and see some animals. I tried to go where they told me to go with no success. I kept driving by these border signs for the Wildlife Preserve, but I could not find a parking lot or a trailhead. I was looking for an hour! I knew that I was on the edge of the preserve, that is why I did not give up earlier. It was a little frustrating to say the least. I gave up and headed back to the main part of the mountains.
It was midday and I knew that the pictures where not going to really turn out. The lighting was too harsh and shadows too strong. So I decided to pass the time and ride a Gondala to the top of Wildcat Mountain. It was a lot of fun! The only problem? I almost fell to my death. [True story] I was so excited about the chance to take pictures from a gondala that I didnt see all of the signs inside the lower part it that said, "Caution- Do not lean on the doors. They will open." Guess what I did?... That's right... I leaned on the doors.....AND ALMOST DIED! Luckily I had my camera strap wrapped around my wrist.
In that moment my life flashed before my eyes and I thought of another headline....
Texas man dies today after falling out of a gondala... and rolling all the way down the mountain! Eye witnesses say that despite his arduous journey down, he still had his camera in his hands. (Actually, I didn't think aobut that when I almost fell out, I just thought that would be funny to say.) ;) I really didn't think about anything. I just tried to not die.... :)On my way down, I rode with this cool couple from Wales. We joked and laughed, and talked about stuff. I gave them a card, and when we got down the coolest thing happened! The lady asked me if she could take my picture! That way when I was famous she could say she met me! How cool! I asked her if I could take a picture of her taking a picture of me taking a picture of her... if you got that... and that is just what we did. There is a corresponding picture of me somewhere out there.... :)
After that, I headed south to a KOA, knowing it was going to be my last KOA in a while. It was in Woodstock, NH. which I thought was cool. Now I can say I went to Woodstock when I was 24. ;) Not like anyone would believe me.... maybe when I am older and the kids dont know anything about history. I stayed the night there, and just slept. By this time I was getting pretty worn out.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Don't you go dying on me." That is from the famous "Dumb & Dumber" which I think is the kind of moment you had:) HA ha

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, then...death...interesting concept for a blog. The pictures are great...keep it up! Glad you're o.k. and that the trip is going well.
Mom

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan all of your comments crack me up! I have the biggest smile on my face everytime I read what you wrote! Your pictures are absolutely amazing and I am so glad I am able to see them! Love ya bunches and try not to die, many people would be sad!

Kristen

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the waterfall photo!
Auntie Laurie

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home